Autodraw is a new Artifical Intelligence program from the Google Labs. All you have to do is select the Autodraw tool and begin doodling a shape. The program will guess what you are drawing and you can then select what you were trying to draw and you will have a nice drawing instead of the doodle. The drawings are from talented artists who have shared their work with Google. The program will also allow you to free draw and add text. There are also shapes to choose from and different colors to fill the shapes.
Students will love the ability to doodle and then pick the shape the program thought they were drawing. The students can easily draw their own picture too, download or share the link with others.
- Be able to use the draw tools in Autodraw.
- Understand that Autodraw will guess what they are drawing.
- Be able to draw a picture to tell a story.
Doodle: To doodle is to scribble or draw.
Artificial Intelligence: Artificial intelligence is the capability of a machine to imitate intelligent human behavior.
- Go to the Autodraw program and play with the different features of it.
The program will work best using the Chrome browser.
- Watch the video tutorial to learn more about it.
- Decide how you want your students to use the program. Here are some ideas:
- Practice drawing shapes and have the program guess what they are drawing.
- The students will write a short sentence and draw a picture to go along with it. (They are practicing keyboard recognition and their writing skills)
- Draw their favorite animal or food.
- See Accommodations Page and Charts on the 21things4students.net site in the Teacher Resources.
- The students can use a mouse and a keyboard or use the touch screen on a mobile device to create the drawings.
- The teacher will decide what the assignment will be for the students. The first time the students can just play, draw and have the program guess what they are trying to draw.
- The students will go to Autodraw on their computer or mobile device.
- The students will draw pictures to go along with a short sentence that they key in using Autodraw. (Note: Have the students write down the sentence ahead of time for them to key in. )
- The students will download or share the link of their drawing with their teacher.
- Check for understanding
- Have the the students download and print the picture.
6a. Students choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication.
6b. Students create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations.
6c. Students communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively by creating or using a variety of digital objects such as visualizations, models or simulations.
6d. Students publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences.
MITECS: Michigan adopted the "ISTE Standards for Students" called MITECS (Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students) in 2018.
Devices and Resources
CONTENT AREA RESOURCES
Students are practicing writing and spelling skills.
Students are learning to write the theme of what the picture is about.
This program can be used for art projects.
This task card was created by Melissa White, 21Things Project Manager, REMC Association of Michigan, April 2018.