Students will begin to learn how to do basic research using Michigan eLibrary's World Book's Early World of Learning. This basic encyclopedia is meant for non-readers as the text is very basic and the site will read everything aloud for those who cannot read yet or prefer to listen. Students will learn about creepy crawlies and where they live, eat and other interesting facts about them.
- Be able to access the World Book Early World of Learning.
- Be able to research a creepy crawlie.
- Understand how to do basic research.
- Know about a creepy crawlie.
Research: Research is gathering information and facts about something.
Creepy Crawlie: A creepy crawlie is an insect that crawls and some find scary.
- Go to Michigan eLibrary.
- Familiarize yourself with the World Book Early World of Learning. It can be found under Databases or Kids>Homework Helpers.
- If needed watch the video tutorial.
- Bookmark Michigan eLibrary for the students to access or put an icon on the desktop or mobile device.
- Decide which creepy crawlies the students will research.
- Create a template for them to fill out or use the one provided in a Google Doc. Make a copy for yourself and you will be able to edit it for your own use.
Note: This lesson is to teach students how to do basic research using the Early World of Learning. The teacher can choose from a wide variety of topics for the students.
- See Accommodations Page and Charts on the 21things4students.net site in the Teacher Resources.
- The World Book of Early World of Learning has read aloud features throughout the entire encylopedia. The students just have to click on the text and it will be read to them.
- Introduce what a creepy crawlie is to the students.
- Allow the students to choose which one they want to research or select one for them.
- Explain what research is and how they are going to learn more about the creepy crawlie by doing their own research.
- Have the students access the bookmark for the Michigan eLibrary.
- Show them how to find the Early World of Learning or bookmark the direct link to the database.
- Show the students how they can or listen to the facts on each of the creepy crawlies.
- Have the students fill out the template with three-four facts about each creepy crawlie.
- Check for understanding
- Check the completed template.
- Have the students each tell one fact about their creepy crawlie in a class discussion.
3a, Students plan and employ effective research strategies to locate information and other resources for their intellectual or creative pursuits.
3c. Students curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods to create collections of artifacts that demonstrate meaningful connections or conclusions.
MITECS: Michigan adopted the "ISTE Standards for Students" called MITECS (Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students) in 2018.
Devices and Resources
CONTENT AREA RESOURCES
Students write a short report on their creepy crawlie.
Students will add a picture that they created to their creepy crawlie report.
Students learn about insects, their habitats, what they eat, etc.
This task card was created by Melissa White, 21Things Project Manager, REMC Association of Michigan, April 2018.